Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Easy Snack Recipe: No Bake Energy Balls

Just shy of a month ago, Sarah from Total Basset Case mentioned that she and her husband had been obsessed with these little sweet treats (she originally got the recipe from Gimme Some Oven). I was so intrigued that I printed out the recipe and have been planning to make ever since. Finally this past weekend, I had a real craving for something sweet and knew exactly what to make.

Ingredients:
1 cup (dry) oatmeal (I used old-fashioned oats)
2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup ground flaxseed or wheat germ (I used flaxseed)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional) (I used the mini chips)
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract



Step 1:  Toast the coconut. Just place the amount needed on a baking sheet. Be sure to spread out and bake at 350 degrees for approx . 7-10 minutes. Don't forget to stir frequently. Once the coconut browns it's done. Tastes good on its own too!

Step 2:  Add all ingredients into a medium/large mixing bowl and stir until well blended.

Step 3: Cover and let chill in refrigerator for an hour. Then take out and roll into balls and store in air tight container back in the refrigerator. I personally think that these taste better after they set overnight. This mix only made approx. 18 balls. Next time I think I will double my recipe. And I'm already thinking that I might want to add a little more coconut and maybe sunflower seeds. Yum!!

So what do you guys think? Would you make these or have you already tried them? When the sweet-tooth sets in, these make for a great substitution rather than grabbing for cookies. And they are so easy to make! These make for a perfect midday pick me up or an after dinner snack. As Mendi's husband always says, "you need something to cut the edge after dinner" so why not grab a healthy energy ball. :-)

Enjoy!

Jayme

15 comments:

  1. Aren't they SO good!? We are still obsessed and I have upped my weekly recipe and have been making a double batch! I add craisins too! I also found that they ball up a little easier if you warm the pb and honey for about 30 seconds, mix that together and then (once it cools a little or your chocolate chips will melt) and pour it over and mix it in. Glad you guys like them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at no bake and I really like that there's no sugar. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    Rowena @ rolala loves
    Enter my iPad Clutch Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't they SO good?! We are still obsessed and I have started making a double batch every week! We add craisins too! I found that if you melt the pb and honey together for about 30 seconds in the microwave, they are easier to ball up and not so gooey once they've been in the fridge. Yay! Glad you like them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good!
    I've been searching for some new recipes to try out. This may be the winner.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! These sound so delish! I will definitely give these a whirl soon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omgosh. I just stole this recipe. These look amazing and totally something I would want to munch on everyday!!! And I love that it's no bake (cause my oven is out of commission at the moment).

    Happy Tuesday!

    Redheaded Daybook

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing! I'm totally trying these!! How long do they stay good for?

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow these look great! like a prefect healthy but delish snack. thanks for sharing :)

    brittany
    come say hello MOCCASIN RUN
    stop by the shop MOCCASIN RUN

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look really easy and delicious! I need to try these out :)

    AddictedtoOPI

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOh yum and I love that you showed them step by step, I've never had them but they look delicious and I'm a huge fan of oatmeal cookies so I know I'd love them. Thanks for sharing!!! Also, thank you for the congrats on the engagement, I really appreciate and feel like I've known you both since i first started blogging. :)

    xoDale
    http://www.savvyspice.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so making these this weekend! I wonder how they would hold up while I'm snowboarding?

    Tiara

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look delicious! I always love healthy options for sweet-lovers!

    Jamie
    Forever81

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow it looks delicious..its amazing can't wait for it.
    its too healthy.
    i would love to make it.
    thanks for sharing
    ...........................................................................
    Easy Snack Recipes


    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...