Thursday, January 26, 2012

Skinnytaste Baked Potato Soup

Not long ago I discovered the website Skinnytaste from my friend Tracy at My Best Beauty Buys.  I was so excited because Gina the creator and chef behind Skinnytaste takes full fat dishes and puts her spin on them to make them healthy while keeping them flavorful and tasty.  There are so many recipes I want to try from her site, but so far I've only tried this one...Baked Potato Soup.

I picked a soup because this past weekend in VA it was SO cold.  Cold and rainy days are perfect for something hot and comforting.  And well, I just love soup.  I eat it all year long even when it's 100 degrees out and everyone is making fun of me. :-)  But since I am trying to eat better I chose this to be the perfect time to try one of Gina's creations.

Baked Potato Soup

Ingredients List:

2 russet potatoes, washed and dried
1 small head of cauliflower, stem removed cut into florets (I only used 3/4 of the head below)
1 1/2 cups fat free chicken broth
1 1/2 cups 1% reduced-fat milk
salt and freshly cracked black pepper
1/2 cup light sour cream
10 tbsp reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
6 tbsp chopped chives, divided
3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled -- you can use turkey bacon if you prefer (I used about 5 slices since my husband was going to eat this too)


Pierce potatoes with a fork (pierced approx. 4 times on each side); microwave on high for 5 minutes, then turn over and microwave another 3 to 5 minutes, until tender.  You can also bake your potatoes in the oven at  400° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool.  Peel potatoes.  I actually peeled while the potatoes were still pretty warm, so while my fingers hurt a little the skin came right off with a butter knife.

Meanwhile, steam cauliflower with water in a large covered pot until tender.  I had never steamed veggies in a pot before (I usually saute or buy the bags that steam in the microwave).  But I had a steaming pot and just filled it so that the water was right beneath the steam pot.  Steaming only took about 10 minutes.  Drain and return to pot.



On medium heat, add chicken broth, milk, potatoes and bring to a boil.  Gina's directions say to use an immersion blender to puree until smooth.  Now I don't own an immersion blender, so I thought I could just use a normal mixer on low.  This is where it got fun.  Soup splattered everywhere!  Maybe I'm a bad mixer...who knows?  I mixed for a minute and then used a spatula to mash some of the lumps that were the cauliflower and the potatoes.  Then I had my husband hold a kitchen towel around the pot while I used the mixer for just a little bit longer.  It was a bonding experience :-)  Add sour cream, half the chives, salt and pepper and cook on low another 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.


See all of the splatter...it also got on me, my stove and wall! Fun! :-)



Remove from heat.  Serve 1 cup of soup into each bowl.  Top each serving with 2 tbsp cheese, remaining chives, and bacon. We actually didn't measure out the cheese, but don't think we went too crazy.



Hope you enjoyed this healthy take on a comfort food favorite!  My husband gave this a a thumps up and says that it is definitely a make again recipe.  I thought it was good, but had to get used to the fact that it wasn't a "traditional" potato soup and that I was eating cauliflower...oh did I mention that I don't like cauliflower?  So happy I tried this and I can't wait to make some more Skinnytaste creations!


What do you guys think?  Would you try this?  What have you been cooking lately?


P.S.  We were recently introduced to an awesome website called All Women Stalk (you will see that we added them to our Blogs We Love list).  They are an amazing source for all of your needs from beauty, fashion, travel, food, health and much more.  They even mentioned us here.  I found a post where they have compiled 7 Low-Cal Soups so I thought I'd share with you guys.  Click here to see for yourself.


Jayme

39 comments:

  1. Cool! I may try this! I'm following you!

    http://www.martasfashiondiary.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm...this looks healthy and delish!! I loveeeeeee Cauliflowers!!!
    Great substitution !!

    www.dashysassy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE me some baked potato soup! I'll be pinning this recipe because it sounds SO yummy (especially for being healthier) Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok thank you for sharing
    that website .. you are a life
    saver! :) i am putting it on my
    favorites NOW


    that looks super yummy!

    xoxo
    Melina ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. yumm this looks good ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds very yummy :) I'm a very big fan of potatoe soup and I love to try new recipes

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM!! That looks delicious.
    I wish it were cold enough here to make that - it's too hot here for soup :(

    Do you have any favorite "skinny" angel food cake recipes? Would love it if you do ;)

    Happy Thursday girls!

    <3-Cami from First Day of My Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds and looks so delicious! hmm might try it this weekend.
    xo

    mydutchfashionstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. A healthier version of fat-fiendish food! I like! This looks really yum and I am a bit of a carb addict. Thanks for your recipe, will try it vegetarian

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love you for posting about this! I am really trying to eat better, so this is absolutely perfect!
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks delish! love cauliflower.

    xoxo navy & orange

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm this sounds delicious! I've been to SkinnyTaste a lot, they have some awesome recipes! :)

    xx Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks delicious! =)

    pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love potato soup and I love cauliflower so I think this is a perfect recipe! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing. I will definitely make this. Comfort food heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not usually a potato soup fan, but this looks yummy! It looks like it would be really easy to make vegetarian too, so I just might try it:) Thanks for the tip on the website!

    xoxo

    Ashley

    http://textbooksandtofu.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. yum! the soup looks amazing. i just made split pea soup tonight. gotta love the winter for all the delicious yummy warm soups!!!

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am a huge soup fan too! Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. yummy very healhty
    Love if you follow me back
    ♥ SadeeStyle ♥
    www.sadeestyle.net

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a huge fan of homemade soups! This one looks delicious, I'll definitely try that recipe one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow that looks really good! I'm all for adding bacon to anything =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aren't you sweet to give me a shout out! I sadly haven't been as loyal with my 'look what I made' posts as I intended. The holidays kind of side-lined that for awhile and I'm slow to get back to healthier eating. But the day is coming. Minus the splatter I think this was a bit success!

    ReplyDelete
  23. YUMMY :D Defiently something i need to try out!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love SkinnyTaste and I wondered about that cauliflower soup aka potato soup. Good to know it isn't bad. Her herb pork chops are to die! I seriously want to try like every recipe on her site.

    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR VOTING! Y'all are so sweet. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hmm I love everything that has potato in it! :) Looks delicious!

    http://daphyin-makeupisart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's only 8:30 in the morning and that made my stomach growl!

    ReplyDelete
  27. yumm! i totally bookmarked this!! i cannot wait to try it, it looks so good! happy weekend ladies!!

    much love, jamie

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks Delicious! Will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love potatoes! So excited to try this recipe out, thank you for posting this.

    Thank you so much for visiting and following my blog!

    I browsed your blog-such an amazing coverage of topics! I LOVE product reviews and seeing this done via video - YES!

    I only wish I learned about you guys earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey ladies - I'm just checking over from the 2012 Blog Party. This recipe looks awesome, I'm definitely going to have to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am totally making a vegetarian version of this tomorrow! This looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I made this with broccoli instead. I'd recommend that! Even though it ends up looking a little funny :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...